Survivors share stories, students march during Take Back the Night

<p>During Take Back the Night, survivors of sexual assault spoke about their stories. For each of those who spoke, a candle was lit.</p>

During Take Back the Night, survivors of sexual assault spoke about their stories. For each of those who spoke, a candle was lit.

About 300 people shouted in English and Spanish as they marched through campus Wednesday.

Several UF student organizations hosted Take Back the Night, a march and rally about sexual assault, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Survivors of sexual violence and supporters walked about a mile around campus.

Students started on the Plaza of the Americas and walked to Tigert Hall, up 13th Street and along University Avenue chanting slogans like “Unite tonight, take back the night” and “Yes means yes, no means no.” 

The march ended back on the Plaza of the Americas.

“It’s a walk of empowerment to recognize the survivors of sexual violence,” said Rebecca Kravitz, a UF applied physiology and kinesiology and women’s studies sophomore and an organizer of the event. “This could be a safer community. We can make it a safer community.”

Before leaving for the march at 7 p.m., participants created signs reading “Not your fault” and “Blame rapists, not boobs.” 

Kravitz said students should feel comfortable walking at night.

“It’s taking back the night back for us and the survivors,” the 20-year-old.

Diamond Delaney, a UF public relations senior, gave the opening remarks. She told the audience she’s a sexual assault survivor.

She said later, when she first came to college, she didn’t understand what consent was.

“I was taught silence, not how to share my story,” she said. “I felt like I could not be anything but a victim until I heard other people tell their stories.”

Rita Lawrence, the interpersonal violence prevention coordinator and advisor for Sexual Trauma/Interpersonal Violence Education, said the event had been held on campus for about 30 years.

“It’s a time for survivors and all of us to claim our time,” she said.

night2.jpg

About 300 supporters march through UF campus Wednesday evening as part of the annual Take Back the Night event to raise awareness about sexual assault.

Lawrence said STRIVE has been planning the march since November. She said it costs less than $1,000 to put on the event. Other organizations sponsored it.

Kristen Croft, a UF environmental engineering senior, made a sign to hold during the march.

“It was kind of awkward at first but then it was empowering,” the 22-year-old said. “Towards the end, as the chanting got louder, it was emotional.”

Croft said she holds her keys in her hand when she walks alone at night.

“I never feel safe at night,” she said. “I think no woman does.”

After the march, survivors of sexual assault spoke onstage about their experiences.

“I think it was a really great to hear survivors tell their story and feel stronger by doing so,” Kravitz said.

@MerylKornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org