An Uber driver hit a pedestrian near campus Tuesday morning.

At about 10:20 a.m., a woman crossed Northwest 16th Street near UF’s campus when the Uber driver turned right onto West University Avenue and hit her, wrote Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias in an email.

The pedestrian, whose identity has not been released, suffered minor injuries, Tobias said.

He said the driver and the pedestrian then exchanged contact information.

They planned to speak later about the incident, but witnesses called police when they saw the driver leave the scene.

John MacIsaac, a 22-year-old UF international studies senior, said he saw the collision as he walked toward campus.

Upon impact, the woman rolled on the car’s hood and fell to the street, he said.

At the time, MacIsaac said he couldn’t tell if the car had run over the woman.

A man who needed an Uber later entered the car, which then drove away, he said.

Officers arrived and called the driver, who was issued a traffic citation for failing to yield to a pedestrian, Tobias said.

MacIsaac said the driver had a green light, but the pedestrian ultimately had the right of way.

He said paramedics came to treat the woman, but she didn’t seem critically injured.

"I think she’s just more surprised that she got hit by a car," MacIsaac said.

mvassolo@alligator.org

mkornfield@alligator.org