The Legendary JC’s to perform at Thelma Boltin Center

About five years after playing at the Common Grounds, previously located in the current High Dive building, The Legendary JC’s will return to Gainesville for a show Saturday.

The band, which plays a mixture of soul and blues, will cover old classics and play original pieces at the Thelma Boltin Center, located at 516 NE Second Ave.

A large dance floor will be open to guests, who can bring their own wine and beer and purchase food at the show, according to a press release.

Eugene Snowden said he helped form the band in 2001 when he decided to collaborate with other Central Florida musicians to create a rhythm and blues-style group. After a month of preparation, the band started playing Wednesday nights at Will’s Pub in Orlando. The band has since played for acts such as James Brown, B.B. King and Blues Travelers.

“After three months, all of a sudden there were 200 people there,” Snowden said. “Then the local paper wrote about us and we skyrocketed from there.”

While several members have come and gone throughout 15 years of touring, Snowden said he believes the band is still improving the quality of its music and performances.

“Out of everything that I do — no matter what I do, no matter what acts I get, what I do on my own — I still feel The Legendary JC’s are the strongest representation of what I do as a performer,” Snowden said.

The only other remaining member from the original group, 50-year-old trombonist Clay Watson, said attendees should expect a spontaneous and interactive show.

“We might be a bunch of old timers,” Watson said, “but you are going to see as much energy on that stage as you will see out of people half our age.”

The show is a part of the Jewel Box Concerts series hosted by the city of Gainesville and Shake Rag Culture Center Inc.

Richard Bassil, a 71-year-old musician and Gainesville resident, said he has attended 25 concerts hosted by the nonprofit center.

After listening to The Legendary JC’s recordings, Bassil said he is looking forward to seeing the band live.

“They have honed that genre of music to perfection,” he said. “They can deliver the goods.”

Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and music will start at 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $25 for couples and $15 for individuals when pre-purchased. Tickets will be $15 at the door, and no credit cards will be accepted.