Vegan startup hopes to provide natural healing with soup

When Australian doctors told Wayne Garland he had spinal cancer and would live no more than six months, he quit his job and traveled to Asia to try to prove them wrong.

Garland will turn 70 this month and has lived 27 years past that diagnosis. He found his cure in vitamins, herbs and minerals.

Garland is the founder of PaleoGanic, the first and only immune system food company in the U.S., he said.

PaleoGanic is a Gainesville startup company that began in December. The company sells healing, organic vegan soups.

The soups are available at Haile Farmer’s Market, Lucky’s Market, Ward’s Supermarket, North Florida Integrated Medicine and at two Jacksonville locations.

He spent 13 years traveling throughout the East to learn natural medicine.

“I didn’t find just one answer,” Garland said. “I found a thousand.”

Micheline Voets, a 51-year-old physical therapist, went through surgery and chemotherapy to fight her breast cancer. The treatments dehydrated her and gave her severe diarrhea.

“I was able to go through my last treatment without any diarrhea at all,” Voets said. “All the ingredients that he chooses really helps your immune system.”

When possible, PaleoGanic gets most of its ingredients from local farms, like Swallowtail Farm.

“I knew that if I was going to sell this food in America, it had to taste great,” he said. “America has the most demanding stomach in the world.”