CRC to host part-time job fair for UF students, alumni

UF freshman Sam Rynor said he wants to make money, but he doesn’t want to call dozens of employers and drive around town dropping off applications.

“I know it’s time for me to get a job, but I know job-hunting can be a struggle,” the 19-year-old business major said.

UF’s Career Resource Center aims to minimize this struggle with its ninth annual Part-Time Job Fair on July 20.

The fair offers students and alumni the chance to speak with employers in various UF departments and industries, said Ashley White, a career events and development intern that helped organize the event.

Last year, the fair was hosted in the Fall and attracted more than 1,500 students. This year, the center will target students looking for a way to meet their financial needs during Summer B, White said.

Trevor Mylin, 21, said he rigorously hunted for a job so he could save up enough money for an LSAT law school aptitude test prep class.

“I would apply online to a couple places a day and then drive around Gainesville dropping off applications,” said the UF political science senior. “It definitely gets demoralizing at times.”

Mylin and Rynor both said the fair will present an easier way to find a job.

The fair is free to students and alumni and requires no pre-registration.

White said students should wear business-casual attire and come with a positive attitude.

“You can be optimistic, because they’re coming to recruit,” she said. “Bring your resume. Bring a pen, and most importantly, bring your smile.”