Student finds service dog over weekend

<p>Ty Redler (center), with his dog Rusty, shaking hands with Don, a salesman at an Ocala Volkswagen dealership. “When I bought my car I brought rusty with me so that’s rusty sealing the deal (sic),” Redler wrote in a text message.</p>

Ty Redler (center), with his dog Rusty, shaking hands with Don, a salesman at an Ocala Volkswagen dealership. “When I bought my car I brought rusty with me so that’s rusty sealing the deal (sic),” Redler wrote in a text message.

Ty Redler, a 22-year-old UF biology senior, said he spent days worried about his lost service dog until he finally found him Saturday.

“He was in the hammocks,” Redler wrote in a text message. “All of a sudden my friend’s like oh my god, I see Rusty and I’m like oh my god, you see Rusty.”

Redler said he and his friend found Rusty in Hammock Oaks Apartments.

Redler said he believes Rusty had been in that area for some time because there was a water source nearby and neighbors had left out food for cats.

“Yeah, I honestly think he was chilling out there for awhile,” Redler said.

Redler said besides some ant bites and ticks, Rusty is still in good shape.

“He looks great, he lost about five pounds, which is nothing,” he said. “He’s looking beautiful.”

Once the two were reunited, Redler said the first thing he did was lay down and hold Rusty before going to the pet rescue to get the dog cleaned and vaccinated.

Redler said he was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in 2008, becoming progressively sicker. Last year, he underwent a major surgery and had to enroll in physical therapy. At that point, Redler said it was time for a service dog, which is when he got Rusty.

“It’s a dream come true to have him back,” Redler said. “I’m just so happy that I get to have my dog next to me again. Life was not the same without my dog.”