<p>Former NFL quarterback, Tim Tebow finishes his work out for baseball scouts and the media during a showcase on the campus of the University of Southern California, Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016 in Los Angeles. The Heisman Trophy winner works out for a big gathering of scouts on USC's campus in an attempt to start a career in a sport he hasn't played regularly since high school. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)</p>

Former NFL quarterback, Tim Tebow finishes his work out for baseball scouts and the media during a showcase on the campus of the University of Southern California, Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016 in Los Angeles. The Heisman Trophy winner works out for a big gathering of scouts on USC's campus in an attempt to start a career in a sport he hasn't played regularly since high school. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

Let me start by saying Tim Tebow was one hell of an athlete.

One of the greatest to ever step foot on Florida’s campus and play college football.

But no, Tim, you cannot play professional baseball.

For those scratching their heads after reading that last sentence, Tebow showcased his baseball abilities in front of scouts from more than 20 Major League organizations Tuesday in a workout at the University of Southern California.

He put on a show, too.

Tebow blasted balls over 400 feet in batting practice and ran a better-than-average 6.65 60-yard dash, as reported by MLB.com’s Jon Morosi.

All while flashing off a hulk-like physique he’s somehow maintained.

But think about how ludicrous it sounds: A 29-year-old washed-up football player who hasn’t played baseball since his junior year of high school is attempting to play professional baseball.

I’m not buying it.

Sure, Tebow might’ve been considered a great baseball player at Nease High School in Ponte Vedra, where he hit .494 with four home runs his junior year before enrolling at UF early.

But so were thousands of other players that never panned out.

Heck, even I managed to hit a few homers my junior year of high school. Stats don’t mean squat a decade later.

Tebow’s disciples will say he’s a gifted athlete and he just needs time.

“But look how far he can hit a baseball! Look how strong and fast he is!” they might say.

Baseball is a sport that requires years and years of dedication.

Pitchers don’t simply pick up a baseball for the first time and throw 95 mph.

They can’t locate an arsenal of pitches without the hundreds of bullpens spent beforehand.

Ask Greg Maddux.

In the same way, you can’t expect a hitter who hasn’t seen consistent live pitching in 10 years to step into the box against a pro and adjust to a slider or a changeup or any other offspeed pitch.

And I’m not expecting Tebow to either.

But let’s set his skills on the diamond aside for a minute.

From an economic standpoint, signing Tebow would likely be the perfect way to fill the near-empty stands in some podunk town’s minor league stadium.

Fans would undoubtedly flock to see Tebow hit below the Mendoza line.

The club makes money.

Tebow gets his shot.

Everybody wins, right?

Wrong.

Signing someone as raw as Tebow at this point of his life is essentially a slap in the face to the thousands of other players — out of college, high school or anywhere else — who deserve a chance in the minors.

Even established MLB players feel that way.

Baltimore Orioles’ All-Star outfielder Adam Jones mocked Tebow in a Tweet earlier this month: “After this MLB season I’m going try out for the NFL this offseason. I haven’t played since HS but I’ve played in a few TurkeyBowls since!!”

For the sake of everyone, hang up the cleats and stick to analyzing football games.

Stop trying to stay relevant.

And most of all, don’t quit your day job, Tim.

Patrick Pinak is the online sports editor. Contact him at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter at @pinakk12.