Five people attend rally for US Senate Libertarian candidate

Five people sat in Main Street Bar & Billiards Thursday to listen to Augustus Invictus, Florida’s Libertarian candidate for U.S. Senate, impersonate former president Richard Nixon.

The point of the impression, Invictus said after he imitated Nixon’s voice at the small rally, was to show how little has changed in America since the former president’s candidacy.

“We will not resign ourselves to our customary third-party irrelevance,” he said. “We are going to fight because with us at the helm, the Libertarian Party has the leadership, the platform and the purpose that America needs.”

The 33-year-old, perhaps most notorious for saying he once sacrificed a goat and drank its blood during a pilgrimage, has in the past called for a second civil war to combat federal overreach and bring power back to the states.

“We’ve had enough of big promises and little action,” Invictus said during the rally. “The time has come for honest government in the United States of America, and so tonight I do not promise a new millennium in the morning — the new millennium is already here, and it is up to us to take action and make the most of it.”

Joté Thompson, a member of the Libertarian Party of Florida who attended the speech, said he decided to endorse Invictus for the upcoming election on Nov. 8 because of his straightforward style of politics.

“I think he deserves to win the election,” Thompson said. “He is the underdog, but I feel he has a real shot — he is the most honest candidate.”