With a new name and business model, Omi’s Tavern in downtown Gainesville opened its doors Monday morning.

Previously known as Omi’s Playa Azul, the Cuban restaurant and bar closed for about a month as it underwent remodeling.

In an effort to expand into an entertainment venue, the restaurant now has a stage, an improved sound system and an enlarged dining area among other aesthetic renovations, said Esteban Santamaria, the owner of Vida Social Productions, which partnered with the restaurant.

Santamaria said the restaurant, located at 101 SE Second Place, will begin to host weekly themed events, like Salsa Tuesdays and Comedy Thursdays.

“There is nothing like this place in Gainesville,” said Omi Risco, the restaurant’s owner. “I just want to see a room full of people dancing.”

After beginning a catering company 25 years ago, Risco opened Omi’s Playa Azul about a year ago, she said. The restaurant was in business for about 10 months before closing.

And although Omi’s has undergone several changes in the past month, Risco said the restaurant will continue serving its signature Cuban cuisine.

Louise Yariv, 66, and her friend Kathy Robinson, 57, ate Cuban cuisine for the first time in about a year at the restaurant’s grand opening Monday afternoon.

“We’ll be back,” Yariv said.