UF, Gainesville prepare for tropical depression

Starting today, Alachua County residents can pick up sandbags to prepare for a tropical depression.

As Tropical Depression Nine follows its projected path toward Florida, Gainesville and UF officials have set up an area for residents to pick up sandbags at 11855 NW U.S. Highway 441 from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Members of the emergency operation center met Tuesday morning to discuss and prepare for the tropical depression that may hit Gainesville, Alachua County spokesman Mark Sexton said. Sandbags are used to prevent flooding in buildings.

“It’s always a good idea to hope for the best and prepare for the worst,” Sexton said.

He added the depression may become a tropical storm named Hermine.

Sexton said citizens should stock up on food and water and stay updated on the tropical depression’s path via social media or radio.

The UF website’s homepage has a banner that links to weather updates and preparation instructions.

The university’s Department of Emergency Management is reminding students to prepare for the likelihood of a tropical storm through social media, said Kenneth Allen, the director of the department.

“Now is the time to take action,” Allen said. “What we don’t want is students going into a storm unprepared.”

Allen said students should put together a hurricane kit, which can include a flashlight, first aid supplies and pet care items.

UF Housing and Residence Education will also reach out to on-campus residents, Allen said.

Sharon C. Blansett, the assistant to the associate vice president for Student Affairs, wrote in an email that housing staff and resident assistants are trained in crisis management procedures, including weather-related emergencies.

UF Housing began its emergency plan Friday in preparation for the depression, Blansett said. In case of flooding, housing staff has plans to mitigate excess rainwater on campus locations, she said.

Blansett suggests everyone be self-sufficient by planning for three to seven days’ worth of water, food and medicine.

“That being said, UF has a partnership with Gator Dining Service to support the campus — staff and students — during weather emergencies,” Blansett said.

Benjamin Narzissenfeld, 20, said he is not prepared for the storm because he was not aware one is heading toward Gainesville.

The history junior, said he thinks Floridians are reluctant to prepare for storms or hurricanes.

He said he will consider buying an umbrella and a raincoat for the upcoming storm.

“If it becomes a hurricane, then I’ll be scared shitless,” he said.