UF students, faculty mourn loss of ‘Willy Wonka’ actor Gene Wilder

gene wilder
gene wilder

Gene Wilder, an American actor well-known for roles in “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Young Frankenstein,” died Monday at the age of 83.

Wilder’s nephew said he died from complications from Alzheimer’s disease, according to the Associated Press.

Charlie Mitchell, a UF assistant theatre professor, heard about the actor’s death during a faculty meeting Monday.

After a colleague broke the news, the room was deflated with sadness, he said.

“It’s a huge loss,” Mitchell said. “He was a wonderful actor.”

Mitchell said he may introduce some of Wilder’s works into his theatre appreciation classes this week.

Jordan Peterson, a 22-year-old UF political science senior, said he learned of Wilder’s death from a friend’s text message. After confirming the news online, he said he immediately listened to Wilder’s version of “Pure Imagination,” which the actor sang in “Willy Wonka.”

“I was taken aback,” Peterson said. “(I feel) a lot of sadness that he is gone.”

Peterson said he first watched “Willy Wonka” when he was 5 years old. He said Wilder, with his eccentric acting, greatly influenced his childhood.

“Some of the time he could be dead serious, and other times it was silly ridiculousness,” he said.

Seamus Seery said hearing of Wilder’s death was like “an unpleasant truth.”

The UF telecommunication senior said he grew up watching Wilder’s movies with his mother and sisters. His mother’s favorite movie was “Young Frankenstein,” but he thinks of “Willy Wonka” as the best.

“He was just so good in it,” the 21-year-old said. “He was just so expressive and unique.”