Plans revealed for The Standard, UF student wins free rent

Across the street from UF’s campus, a new apartment complex will tout a rooftop pool and near-doorstep dining.

About a year after construction began on The Standard, an unveiling event was held Thursday at Dough Religion Pizza — and one student was randomly selected to win free rent for a year.

As Rob Dinwiddie, the vice president of leasing and marketing for Landmark Properties, told a crowd of about 160 people about the new development, attendees watched a virtual walkthrough of the complex.

“I can envision myself sitting on the edge of the infinity pool and looking out over campus,” he said.

TargetExpress, Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill, Miami Subs Grill, Chick-fil-A and Bento Cafe have signed on to rent space beneath the complex, Dinwiddie said, and an AC Hotels by Marriott will be built within the property as well.

For Juan Valiente, a 20-year-old UF public relations junior, living at The Standard next Fall will be a step up from his current apartment at The Enclave.

Valiente smiled as Dinwiddie announced he had won the free-rent package, making him the complex’s first tenant.

“I’m pretty shocked right now,” he said.

The leasing office will open Monday, and residents can begin signing leases Thursday, Dinwiddie said.

“In Gainesville there hasn’t been a development that can combine this location with this kind of retail and these amenities for the perfect student living package,” he said.