Florida Museum of Natural History offering discounts to low-income visitors

Low-income guests can now visit the Florida Museum of Natural History’s exhibits at a discounted cost.

On Monday, the museum launched a new program in which adults who have valid electronic benefits transfer cards will only pay $3 for admission to the featured exhibits and the Butterfly Rainforest, said Brittany Snipes, the development assistant for the museum.

The current featured exhibit is “Wicked Plants,” which is on display through Jan. 15, 2017.

The normal price of admission for both exhibits is $14.50 for Florida residents and $17 for nonresidents. Children ages 3 to 17 with an adult who has an EBT card get in for free, he said. Normally, it cost $10 for children’s admission.

Snipes said she wanted to allow those who might not be able to afford the museum to have the opportunity to visit it.

There is no alternative organization or donor funding the program, she said. The museum will simply absorb the loss in revenue.

“I think it’s great,” she said. “We’re always looking for ways to be more inclusive, and this is just another way that we’re able to do that.”

Mary Wassen, a 63-year-old retired registered nurse in Gainesville, said she thinks this program will allow more people to visit the museum.

“It will encourage people to enjoy what we have,” Wassen said.