HeForShe UF hosts third annual walk

Walk.jpg
Walk.jpg

Tiffany Nelson, 19, spent Wednesday afternoon carrying a sign reading “My little black dress does not mean yes” as she walked on the Plaza of the Americas.

“It’s a great way to show the people at UF that we do care, we do want to say something about it and that it’s not their fault,” the UF biochemistry sophomore said.

The UF chapter of HeForShe rallied for its third annual “Dress Does Not Mean Yes” walk from the Plaza of the Americas to Turlington Plaza to raise awareness about rape culture.

“Consent is hot; assault is not,” they chanted as they walked through campus.

Students stopped and watched the crowd, and a few joined the group.

Lillian Rozsa, who started the organization last Fall, said the walk helps start a discussion about sexual assault.

“It’s really damaging that in today’s society we still ask what the survivor was wearing or if they were drinking,” the 20-year-old UF political science junior said.

For Nelson, the event hit close to home. She said she wanted to show support for a friend who was sexually assaulted over the summer.

“She’s a strong girl,” she said, adding that the walk was a way for Nelson to stand by her.

Renae Burke, 18, said attending the event was a no-brainer.

“Raising awareness for (sexual assault) is something that I will dedicate my time to in a heartbeat,” the UF music and biomedical engineering freshman said.