<p>Taylor Tomlinson putts during the 2015 SunTrust Gator Invitational at UF's Mark Bostick Golf Course.&nbsp;</p>

Taylor Tomlinson putts during the 2015 SunTrust Gator Invitational at UF's Mark Bostick Golf Course. 

After the first round of Florida’s final Fall tournament, the Stanford Intercollegiate, the UF women’s golf team found itself falling behind.

But one golfer is near the top of the competition.

Junior Taylor Tomlinson finished the round in a tie for eighth place at even par, one of only 10 competitors to place at even or below par on Friday.

Tomlinson, who led the team with three birdies, helped the Gators remain in eighth place at Stanford at 13 over par.

They are 12 strokes behind tournament leader Northwestern.

“I’m happy for Taylor and the great round she posted today to lead our team,” coach Emily Glaser said in a release. “She has never complained or questioned our decisions. She really is the epitome of a team player. Her toughness and positive attitude showed today.”

While Tomlinson placed within the top-10, the rest of the Gators couldn’t keep up.

Both senior Maria Torres and freshman Marta Perez both finished at 3 over par and sit in a tie for 26th place.

Torres, who carded three bogeys on the front nine, didn’t recorded anything but par on the back nine, while Perez railed off one birdie, two bogeys and a double bogey.

Freshman Carlotta Ricolfi finished the round in a tie for 62nd after tallying seven bogeys, two birdies and a double bogey in a 7-over-par performance.

Senior Karolina Vlckova, who rounded out the Gators at Stanford, shot 10 over par with a team high 10 bogeys and is tied for 80th place.

“Today was a bit of a struggle overall,” Glaser said. “The weather was difficult, and the golf course played quite a bit different than the practice round. It just looked like we didn’t adjust very well. Today’s learning experience will make each of the girls better.

“We are happy for the opportunity to redeem ourselves over the next couple days.”

Contact Jake Dreilinger at jdreilinger@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter at @DreilingerJake.