New McDonald’s to open near campus before the end of Fall

<p>Pictured: A McDonald's restaurant in St. Petersburg, FL. </p>

Pictured: A McDonald's restaurant in St. Petersburg, FL. 

Soon enough, UF students won’t have to travel far from campus to grab a Big Mac and some french fries.

A new McDonald’s is being built at 1206 W. University Ave., on the once-empty lot between Bagels & Noodles and Gator Beverage.

An approximate completion date for the 5,000-square-foot drive-thru restaurant is set for the end of December, said Joel Stengel, the executive superintendent at Stansell Properties & Development, which is overseeing construction.

By construction’s end, the restaurant will be the 10th McDonald’s in Gainesville, but it will be the first one near campus since the one at 201 NW 13th St. closed down.

For UF finance sophomore Roy Dela Cruz, having another fast-food option is good news.

“I’m definitely open to more restaurants, and I’m expecting them,” he said. “More restaurants means more choices.”

There are several fast-food options on and around campus, but a McDonald’s has not been among them in almost a year. In that time, he said he has had to settle.

“I’ve had to go to Wendy’s,” the 19-year-old said. “Because of the distance, I haven’t been able to go to McDonald’s as much as I’ve wanted to. I’ll definitely go more often now.”

Soon to open in Gainesville:

• LongHorn Steakhouse: Fall 2016
  • Culver’s: Fall 2016
  • Poppo’s Taqueria: Fall 2016
  • Aldi food market: Fall 2016
  • Bento Cafe: Spring 2017
  • 365 by Whole Foods Market: 2017
  • Source: Ken Eats Gainesville