Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

At the end of Tuesday night’s Student Senate meeting, Senator Alyssa Bethencourt (Impact, Sophomore) announced a future resolution honoring Abigail Dougherty’s life.

“I think it would be a really nice way to keep her memory alive here at the University of Florida,” she said.

Bethencourt announced the resolution for Dougherty at the end of the meeting, after senators struck down the only bill on the agenda and voted on a graduate replacement seat. Bethencourt said the resolution should be ready for next week’s meeting.

Dougherty was killed Friday when a garbage truck struck her while she was riding her bike near University Avenue, according to Alligator archives. Bethencourt said she reached out to Dougherty’s roommate to write the resolution, and Bethencourt and other senators will edit it.

“We felt like she would be the most raw person to get that information from,” Bethencourt said.

During the meeting, a bill that would have given $2,170 to the Jamaican Student Association was removed from the agenda. It was struck down due to minor issues with the organization’s constitution, said Janae Moodie, the allocations committee chairwoman.

The bill was approved in the allocations committee but didn’t pass through the replacement and agenda committee, Moodie said. There was no issue funding the organization, which wants to use the money for its second annual Mr. and Miss Jamaican Student Association Pageant.

“They need to add certain clauses,” she said.