While the nation’s fate hung in the balance Tuesday night, Sara Riehm went soundly to sleep, knowing all would be fine in the morning.

“No matter what happens, I’m still gonna wake up to Beatrice,” the 20-year-old UF dietetics junior said, smiling down at her pit bull, whom she adopted in May.

Alachua County Animal Services hopes Riehm won’t be the only one finding comfort in her adopted pet this week, following the nail-biting finale to the presidential election.

Until Saturday, the shelter at 3400 NE 53rd Ave. is offering free dog and cat adoptions through its “The Race for the Right House” promotion. Jane Grantman, the shelter’s supervisor, said ACAS will waive the $25 adoption fee for “Demo-cats” and the $30 fee for “Re-pup-licans.”

“Animals are very comforting when you’re sad,” she said.

Although just four animals have been adopted during the promotion, which started Tuesday, Grantman said she hopes more of the 164 cats and 128 dogs find permanent homes by the week’s end.

The at-capacity shelter organized the promotion to reduce its euthanasia rates and make space for more stray and surrendered animals, she said. Its animals are vaccinated, microchipped and spayed or neutered.

“There’s no losing here,” Grantman said.

After dealing with depression and anxiety last spring, Riehm made the decision to adopt Beatrice. For those struggling to accept an impending Donald Trump presidency, she said bringing in a furry friend could help in a similar way.

“She’s just a really calming presence,” she said. “I always have a friend.”