A UF professor won the National Book Award for nonfiction this year for a book about racial tensions in the U.S.

Ibram Kendi, a UF professor of African-American history, said he was shocked when they called his name during the National Book Award Foundation ceremony Wednesday in New York City.

“It’s not something I ever dreamed of,” Kendi said. “It seemed unattainable to win this award.”

Kendi’s book, “Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racial Ideas in America,” discusses the development of racism in the U.S. He began writing the book in 2012 after the death of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old African-American who was shot and killed in Sanford, Florida.

UF President Kent Fuchs, who tweeted about Kendi’s award, said he is proud of the UF faculty member.

“This is the kind of thing we all celebrate,” Fuchs said. “He’s giving talks about the book around the country and mentioning he’s from the University of Florida. This brings prestige for all of us.”

Fuchs said Kendi will speak at the commencement ceremony for the doctoral students this Fall.

Kendi said he plans to work to promote a discussion about race in the U.S. through his writing and teaching.

“Certainly, this is not my last book, but I’m still sort of deciding what I will do next,” he said.