Generic Crime
Generic Crime

After running a stop sign Friday, a Gainesville teenager confessed to a shooting from last week, the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

At about 1 a.m., Gainesville Police pulled over Jocquez Poohshawn White, 19, and noticed the smell of marijuana coming from his car, according to a police report.

While searching White, police discovered a loaded .25 caliber handgun near his lap, which matched the bullet casings found Wednesday following a shooting in an undisclosed area in Gainesville, according to the report.

The car also matched the description of one that was involved in the shooting, according to the report.

White later confessed he shot his gun at a residence during the shooting to seek retaliation against a 17-year-old, who he said shot his 15-year-old brother and was later released from jail after his charges were dropped, according to the report.

During the incident in question, which took place on Oct. 16, 17-year-old Austin Gregory Dow shot a 15-year-old in the head during a drive-by shooting, according to Alligator archives.

Dow was arrested on three counts of attempted second-degree murder.

ACSO spokesman Lt. Brandon Kutner confirmed the Oct. 16 shooting was the one White sought retaliation for.

No one was injured during White's retaliation shooting, but the outside of the residence sustained damage, and six .25 caliber shell casings were found, according to the report.

During the traffic stop Friday, Rhontavious Hayes, 19, sat in the backseat of the car, according to the report. Hayes was found with a loaded .38 caliber revolver and 111 grams of marijuana in a backpack by his feet.

But Hayes told police that Pierre Louis Williams, 19, handed him the gun and weed when they were pulled over.

Police arrested White on charges of carrying a concealed weapon without a license and firing a missile into a dwelling. They arrested Williams on charges of carrying a concealed weapon without a license and possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana with intent to sell within 1,000 feet of a park.

They were taken to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, White is being held on a $150,000 bond and Williams is being held on a $165,000 bond.

Hayes was issued a sworn complaint, but he was not taken to jail.

cdickson@alligator.org

@ced0624