More than $3,500 raised for Burrito Bros. during anniversary fundraiser

<p><span>Inside Swamp Head Brewery, people enjoyed local beer with their burrito. There were also T-shirts and raffle tickets for sale. </span></p>

Inside Swamp Head Brewery, people enjoyed local beer with their burrito. There were also T-shirts and raffle tickets for sale. 

They danced, laughed and ate burritos Friday night, the pack of about 300 people that gathered to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a local restaurant in need of some merriment.

It was all for Burrito Bros. Taco Co., a West University Avenue restaurant that has endured financial hardship this year, reporting losses of 23 percent in September — with the massive construction of The Standard at Gainesville next door partly to blame.

The party, which doubled as a fundraiser, was hosted by Swamp Head Brewery, located at 3650 SW 42nd Ave. By the end of the night, the event raised more than $3,500 for the restaurant.

During the event, Gainesville residents, longtime patrons and former employees drank locally brewed beer, munched on soft-tortilla burritos and bought Burrito Bros. merchandise.

“I saved Burrito Bros.,” read the roughly 1,000 T-shirts on sale at the event, donated by Gainesville-based Dragonfly Graphics.

Randy Akerson, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Janet, said he was excited to see old employees come back for the party and would be spending the night alternating between laughs and tears of joy.

“The outpouring of love and support has been nothing short of astonishing,” he said.

Forty years ago, Akerson opened up Burrito Bros. on the northwest corner of West University Avenue and 13th Street, where it would stay for decades and become a mainstay in the city.

But the construction near the current location at 1402 W. University Ave. has limited street parking around the restaurant and turned Northwest 14th Street into a dusty mess, Akerson said.

By Fall 2017, the behemoth property next door will boast a handful of restaurants, a TargetExpress and an AC Hotels by Marriott.

“Gainesville has changed a lot over the years — not all of it has been wonderful,” he said.

Cari Martin, a 51-year-old Gainesville resident, makes an effort once a week to spend her money at Akerson’s business.

A patron at Burrito Bros. for more than 30 years, Martin said burritos have become a post-workout treat for her, typically eaten after running at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

But despite her fandom, Martin said she was upset to know that some people choose chain restaurants over the local business.

One afternoon she went into the Chipotle Mexican Grill on West University Avenue and asked three patrons inside if they knew about the restaurant a few blocks westward.

“I couldn’t believe the line in there,” she said, “and I couldn’t believe no one knew about Burrito Brothers.”

Martin said construction has made it impossible to park close to the restaurant, and because it’s no longer in its original location, it’s harder to find.

Janet Akerson said the development surrounding her business has been a financial disaster, but since informing the public about their troubles, support from the community has been extraordinary.

“We’re incredibly grateful,” she said. “We try not to take for granted the way people feel about our restaurant.”

She said while business has improved, the restaurant is still at risk.

But that’s not something she thought about a lot Friday night, welcoming everyone who attended with a smile, talking to customers young and old.

“The community support has been fantastic,” she said. “That’s what you see here tonight.”