Generic Crime
Generic Crime

After a night of drinking, a UF student crashed her car into a flagpole in front of UF Health Shands Hospital on Thursday, University Police said.

At about 2:50 a.m., Erin Elizabeth Smith, 22, drove her silver Volkswagen Jetta into a flagpole in the Shands South front circle, according to a police report. Witnesses saw her hit the pole and run out of her vehicle.

Erin Smith

The accident was also recorded on Shands security cameras, according to the report.

Smith told UPD she drank at least two beers earlier that night. She was also wearing a green paper wristband, usually given out at bars, and she smelled of alcohol, according to the report.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes confirmed that Smith, a political science senior, is currently enrolled at the university.

Smith refused any field sobriety or breathalyzer test and screamed at officers, according to the report.

When police began reading her Miranda warning, she yelled “arrest me!!” according to the report.

Smith had manic episodes that included yelling, screaming and crying, followed by short moments of calm, according to the report.

Police arrested Smith on a charge of driving under the influence. Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail, where she was released on her own recognizance Friday afternoon.

As of press time, Smith could not be reached for comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org