$5 million park makes debut in Hawthorne

Alachua County residents who enjoy spending time outside now have 3,000 more acres to explore.

After a decade of planning, Little Orange Creek Nature Park, located at 24115 SE Hawthorne Road, opened Saturday. The project cost about $5 million, which was funded by a grant from Florida Community Trust, said Robin Frey, a board member of Friends of Little Orange Creek Nature Park. Entry to the park is free.

“One of the main goals we have for the park opening is to educate people, and primarily children, about nature and how to protect it,” she said.

In addition to providing education on preserving and protecting nature, Frey said the park will hopefully boost Hawthorne’s economy.

“We’re hoping that the opening of this park brings more people to the city of Hawthorne,” she said.”

The park features trails, guided tours and a fishing pier, according to its website.

UF student Rebecca Maguire, 21, said she is excited to visit the park for some artistic inspiration.

The visual art studies junior said she is always looking for new places and parts of nature she hasn’t adventured before.

“I love the outdoors because I see it as one of the purest forms of beauty,” Maguire said. “I’m an arts major, so a place like this is going to be great for me and my artistic freedom.”