Generic Crime
Generic Crime

After threatening an attack, a Santa Fe High School student was arrested Tuesday with three knives and a set of brass knuckles concealed in his backpack, Alachua Police said.

Austin Ray Rouse Cormican, 18, made threats to harm himself and others at the 16213 U.S. 441 school, and posted pictures of himself with several weapons to social media, according to a police report. He was arrested at the school at about 9:06 a.m.

Cormican faces a 10-day suspension and an automatic recommendation for expulsion, said Jackie Johnson, the Alachua County Public Schools public information officer.

Of the three knives he possessed, two were foldable pocket knives and the other had a 3.5-inch blade, according to the report.

He posted on social media that he intended to use the weapons at school, according to the report. Aware of his posts, concerned parents and students reported Cormican to school staff, according to the report. When he arrived at school Tuesday, he was confronted by school officials.

He told school staff about the weapons in his backpack and was arrested on a charge of having a concealed weapon at school. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Wednesday afternoon on his own recognizance.

Cormican could not be reached for comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org

Austin Ray Rouse Cormican