Students living in Beaty West didn’t have water Wednesday after a hot water pipe leaked.

The leak came from a pipe on the ground floor of the building, according to an email sent to residents from Dan Lepper, the area coordinator. In order to repair the pipe, maintenance workers from UF Housing and Residence Education shut off hot water from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and cold water from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m, UF spokesperson John Hines wrote in an email.

This is the second water leak on campus in two days. The space between two pipes in the ceiling of the Hub broke some time between Monday night and Tuesday morning, according to Alligator archives.

Hines said the leak in Beaty West didn’t cause damage.

“We replaced the section of the pipe and added some valves to minimize future outages,” Hines said.

Zoe Bortz, an 18-year-old UF criminology and law freshman, said she realized the problem when there was no hot water to wash dishes around 9 a.m.

“I just hope it’s fixed by tonight so I can bathe,” she said.

Maxime Korner, an 18-year-old UF psychology freshman, said the toilet wouldn’t flush in her room during the day, so she had to venture downstairs to use the restroom.

“It made me grateful for having water,” she said. “You don’t really know what you have until you lose it.”

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org