<p dir="ltr"><span>From left: 37-year-old Get Barber accompanies his girlfriend, 29-year-old Laurel Huntoon, to the Fourth Annual Roe v. Wade Anniversary Show, where the bands The Howleez, Bite Marks, The Ones to Blame, Endless Pools and Guts! performed. "I love the bands," Huntoon said.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

From left: 37-year-old Get Barber accompanies his girlfriend, 29-year-old Laurel Huntoon, to the Fourth Annual Roe v. Wade Anniversary Show, where the bands The Howleez, Bite Marks, The Ones to Blame, Endless Pools and Guts! performed. "I love the bands," Huntoon said.

In a theatrical performance, 14 men and a nun discussed what should happen to a woman’s body on Saturday.

The performance was part of the Fourth Annual Roe v. Wade Anniversary Show in downtown Gainesville. More than 500 people attended the event, which honored the 44th anniversary of Roe v. Wade and celebrated the right to have an abortion.

On Jan. 22, 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court decided abortion was a fundamental right for women in the country.

More than $1,000 in donations was raised at the event for the National Women’s Liberation, a pro-abortion-rights nonprofit that advocates for women’s rights.

The show, hosted at The Wooly, located at 20 N. Main St., featured live music, speakers and a performance about the history of reproductive rights, said Kendra Vincent, an NWL organizer.

“I think that people were happy to be out and around like-minded people and feel like they have some hope,” Vincent said.

Signs that read, “I’m one of 65,844,610 Americans against Trump,” “Keep Abortion Legal,” “Women’s Rights Are Humans Rights” and “Make America Think Again” were displayed during the event.

Gainesville resident Cara Negri said President Donald Trump’s first days in office have been discouraging, and the possibility of reversing Roe v. Wade is dangerous for all women.

“I think some of me is still in denial,” the 37-year-old said of Trump’s presidency. “I’m nervous about the future.”

The fundraiser, usually held the weekend of the anniversary, was pushed back a week because of the large number of NWL members participating in the Women’s March on Washington.

After Trump was elected in November, there was a large increase in participation with NWL in Gainesville, Vincent said.

“People are becoming more engaged, people are paying more attention,” Vincent said. “Just because you don’t like politics doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect you, and I think more people are noticing that.”

Although not a member of NWL, Gina Davis said she came to the event to enjoy music and support women’s reproductive rights.

“Thank god I’ve never had to have an abortion, but if it came down to it, what if I didn’t have that right?” Davis said.

Davis, 37, said men shouldn’t have a say in abortion issues.

“I just don’t see how men can decide what we want to do — they’re out of the picture,” she said. “They’re gone. It has nothing to do with them.”

@molly_vossler

mvossler@alligator.org