Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man intruded on four roommates Tuesday, then punched and spat on one when asked to leave, Gainesville Police said.

mccray mug

Kendrick McCray

Kendrick McCray, 19, walked into an apartment at Granada Apartments, located at 1800 NW Fourth St., and refused to leave when the residents told him to, according to a police report. At about 5 p.m., an argument began.

When McCray didn’t leave, one of the roommates told him to not be disrespectful and requested he leave again, according to the report. McCray approached the man and punched him twice in the back of the head.

Two of the roommates saw the fight occur, according to the report. One of them said McCray punched the resident, while the other roommate wasn’t sure who hit who.

McCray left the apartment but returned later to the back patio — three of the four roommates were present, according to the report. McCray then spit in the face of the man he punched earlier that night.

After his arrest, McCray admitted to police that he entered the apartment, but he thought he was welcome because he stayed there before, according to the report.

McCray also confessed to police that he hit the man, according to the report.

Police arrested McCray on charges of burglarizing an occupied dwelling and simple battery. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $12,500 bond.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org