Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man was arrested Friday after nearly shooting someone on New Year's Day, Gainesville Police said.

Durr mug

Ronald Durr

At about 4 p.m. on Jan. 1, Ronald Durr, 26, got into an argument with a man in the 1000 block of 15th St., according to a GPD police report.

The argument, per the report, began after Durr removed the man’s cellphone from a wall charger inside an apartment.

The man’s cousin intervened. Durr then left the apartment and returned with a handgun, according to the report.

Durr, a four-time convicted felon, then pistol-whipped the man before pointing the gun at his head, according to the report.

Moments before the trigger was pulled, however, the man pushed Durr’s gun away from his head, sending a bullet into a kitchen cabinet, according to the report.

Durr ran away, and the man later identified him to police. A witness told police the same story as the man did and identified Durr in a lineup, according to the report.

Police said the GPD Forensic Crime Unit recovered the bullet from the scene.

Police arrested Durr on charges of attempted murder and possessing a firearm by a convicted felon. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he remains, as of press time, on a $600,000 bond.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org