Generic Crime
Generic Crime

An Alachua man stole $12,000 worth of electronics from a Windsor Park apartment, and then used the apartment to meet and have sex with women, Gainesville Police said.

breakin mug

Walter Gerardo Gonzalez

At about 5 a.m. Monday, the apartment’s owners found a sleeping Walter Gerardo Gonzalez, 19, inside their apartment, located in the 3000 block of SW 27th St., according to a police report. The owner said two televisions, a laptop and an Amazon Echo were missing. They told police they had not been home since Dec. 27.

Gonzalez told police the apartment door was locked but not fully closed. He said he knocked first and when no one answered he went inside and took a 32-inch television, according to the report.

Gonzalez said he returned to the apartment Monday with the intention to meet a woman he contacted through backpage.com, a personal-advertisement website, according to the report.

In his phone, police found messages Gonzalez sent to women negotiating sex in exchange for money and erotic photos from the women, according to the report. Police found one of the missing televisions in a nearby apartment.

Police arrested Gonzalez on charges of burglary, grand theft and giving a false name to officers. Authorities took him to Alachua County Jail, where he remains as of press time in lieu of a $125,000 bond.

mkornfield@alligator.org

@merylkornfield