Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man sold 1,000 rare “Magic: The Gatherin” trading cards Tuesday after stealing them from an unlocked car parked in Stone Ridge Apartments, Gainesville Police said.

cards mug

Jeffrey Scott Wallace

Jeffrey Scott Wallace, 31, sold the cards, which are worth about $900, for about $295 to a gam- ing store, according to a police report. Police said the rare cards were reported missing from the car, parked at 3800 SW 34th St., Saturday.

The game store manager recognized the cards as similar to cards his friend owned, according to the report. The friend and rightful owner was able to identify the cards as his own based on card condition and markings.

Wallace said he forgot his ID and brought a friend with him to the shop who helped him sell the cards to the store in three transactions, according to the report.

After he was arrested, Wallace told police he went into the unlocked car and took the cards, according to the report. He also said he sold the cards for money to pay his bills.

He told police he was doing his best to better his life, but he is still struggling.

Wallace was arrested on charges of unarmed burglary, grand theft, dealing in stolen property and false information on a pawn transaction form. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $40,000 bond.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org