<p>Senior Rachel Slocum tied for a first-place finish in vault during the NCAA Regionals on April 7. She and two other seniors competed in their last meet during the Super Six on Saturday. </p>

Senior Rachel Slocum tied for a first-place finish in vault during the NCAA Regionals on April 7. She and two other seniors competed in their last meet during the Super Six on Saturday. 

Rachel Slocum stands at 5-foot-3.

But what the junior lacks in stature, she makes up for in spunk.

“Rachel’s just been a breath of fresh air for this team,” coach Jenny Rowland said on Wednesday.

“She has come in as a junior and stepped into a role that I don’t think she was even prepared for but has handled with a lot of poise and a lot of grace. And a lot of personality.”

And despite having only competed in a Florida leotard twice so far, Slocum has wasted no time leaving her mark on the program’s record book.

In the first home meet of her career on Friday against Kentucky, she earned a 9.95 on vault, the highest home debut on vault in school history since junior Alex McMurtry’s first meet in 2015, which was a 10.

But while Slocum’s career-high score was impressive, her unusual vault is what caught the attention of many.

Unlike many collegiate gymnasts who attempt some form of a "Yurchenko" on the apparatus, Slocum performs a front handspring pike-front with a half twist.

“I just didn’t really like Yurchenkos, mentally,” Slocum said. “I started competing that vault when I was a freshman in high school. And I obviously started with a tuck and the progression to the pike half is what I came to. … I just think that when I compete it and people see it they are like, ‘Oh, no one does that’ and I’m like, ‘Well yeah, I guess I am kind of special.’”

Prior to her joining Florida, the Eastern Michigan transfer already had an accomplished collegiate career.

During the 2016 season, she was the Mid-American Conference Specialist of the Year and was part of the group that won the MAC team title.

She was also just the second NCAA Championships qualifier in Eastern Michigan history.

And while her teammates have helped ease her transition to Florida this season, they weren’t sure what to make of her energetic personality when they first met her.

“I think at first they were a little confused and surprised at how energetic I was,” Slocum said.

“But now that I have been with them for a while and they know that's what I’m about, and they know I am at 110-percent energy all the time, I think they have really embraced me. I think they like me a lot.”

Contact Lauren Staff at lstaff@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @lstaff27.