Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man is accused of shooting his 8-year-old neighbor in the leg with a BB gun Monday, Gainesville Police said.

bb mug

Trevon Rayford

At about 1:58 p.m., Trevon Rayford, 20, shot the boy when he saw him get off his bicycle and try to run from him at Pine Meadows, 2626 E. University Ave., according to a police report. The boy was 8 to 10 feet from Rayford when he pulled the trigger, firing once at the boy.

The pellet lodged into the upper half of the boy’s left leg and caused a visible puncture wound, according to the report.

After his arrest, Rayford told police that he often plays a similar game with the boy, according to the report. He said he usually chases after him and acts like he is going to shoot him.

Rayford said the boy laughs when he is being chased, because they are “always playing around like that,” according to the report.

The boy identified Rayford to police, according to the report.

Police arrested Rayford on a charge of aggravated child abuse. Authorities took him to Alachua County Jail where he was released on his own recognizance Tuesday afternoon.

As of press time, Rayford could not be reached for comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org