Students participate in UF-led New Year’s exercise class

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-3eee32e7-8b9a-7420-dc97-611fbda52736"><span>Students warm up for kickboxing in the Rion Ballroom. Thirty-three students attended the event held by Reitz Union Board Entertainment.</span></span></p>

Students warm up for kickboxing in the Rion Ballroom. Thirty-three students attended the event held by Reitz Union Board Entertainment.

For extra motivation on Tuesday, students wore New Year’s hats and exercised in front of a giant “2017” sign, which may have served as an incentive to keep up with pesky resolutions.

Inside the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom, the “Kick in the New Year” kickboxing class hosted a group of about 33 students. Reitz Union Board Entertainment hosted the event, said Jessica Madera, an event coordinator. At the head of the group, a RecSports instructor led the students who practiced punches and kicks. They were given noisemakers and black and gold necklaces before the workout. Afterward, some posed for photos in front of the New Year’s sign.

“A lot of New Year’s resolutions involve fitness, and our past fitness events have been successful,” said Madera, a UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior.

The 20-year-old said the event cost about $100 to put together.

She said the goal of the event was to bring students together and to help them be more active.

Maya Punjwani, 18, said her friend convinced her to join in the fun Tuesday, but last semester she attended four kickboxing classes at the Student Recreation & Fitness Center, so she was familiar with the routine.

“I came because I needed to work out this week,” the UF political science and journalism freshman said.