Taco Bell’s New Year’s resolution: serving up healthier options

While the new year often brings about far-fetched promises, resolutions are typically saved for people — not fast-food chains vowing to be healthier.

At the turn of 2017, the Mexican-style chain Taco Bell announced its plan to rid its menu of extra-large sodas and remove preservatives and additives from its food by 2018.

In 2015, it became the first quick-service restaurant to offer American Vegetarian Association certified options and since 2008 has reduced the sodium in all menu items by 15 percent.

In Gainesville, where Taco Bell’s two locations see constant student trafic, the resolution has been met with both skepticism and excitement.

“I would imagine a reduction in sodium by any means is probably good, but it’s probably still pretty high,” said Brandon McFadden, a UF assistant professor of agricultural food and marketing.

McFadden said although he isn’t an expert on Taco Bell’s nutritional profiles, it’s common for fast-food restaurants to take any angle possible in order to improve declining sales.

“In general, if you eat away from home, you’re going to consume more salt and fat,” McFadden said.

Waldo resident Daniel Ximenes, who visits Taco Bell at least once a week, said after becoming a vegetarian his budget-friendly options are limited, so he welcomes the restaurant’s commitment to healthier eating.

“The only other place I sometimes go is Burger King because they have the veggie burger,” the 28-year-old said.

Ximenes said although he has a picky appetite, Taco Bell’s rice and beans usually gives him the protein he’s looking for.

Maddie Boyd, 19, said she eats fast food two to three times a week and thinks Taco Bell’s healthier options will probably be an incentive for some to go.

The UF art sophomore said she chooses where to eat based on overall taste and how bad she feels after eating.

“I personally hate Taco Bell,” she said while eating Chick- l- A. “I’ve known people who’ve worked there, and they’ve said it’s literally like dog food meat, and it’s not appealing to me at

all.”

@molly_vossler

mvossler@alligator.org