Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A speeding pickup skidded on West University Avenue sidewalk before flipping on its side and striking a building near campus Wednesday.

Taylor Noel, a Dunkin’ Donuts employee, said he felt the building shake when the truck skid across the front of the building, at 1412 W. University Ave. The building houses Target Copy, Dunkin’ Donuts, Firehouse Subs and Sushi-2-Go.

After leaving a dent in the building, the truck then flipped back over and came to a stop in front of Chipotle, the 23-year-old UF advertising senior said.

He said he went outside to see what happened and saw the driver running away from the car and down Northwest 15th Street.

Bystanders helped pull out an older woman, who was in the front passenger seat of the truck, onto the sidewalk, he said.

Alachua County Fire Rescue took the injured woman to UF Health Shands Hospital for minor injuries, Gainesville Police Sgt. John Mazzuca said.

Mazzuca said police still haven’t located the driver, but they are searching for him.

James Berger, 23, said he was sitting on the patio of Oozoo Bar when he heard the truck hit the building.

There were no other cars around, so Berger said he wasn’t sure what caused the accident or why the car sped up.

“I’m just glad no one was on the sidewalk,” the UF economics senior said.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org