Following the death of a UF student at a bus stop outside Campus Club Apartments on Saturday, the stop’s safety has come under scrutiny and will be investigated.

Karan Kullar, a 22-year-old computer engineering student, was killed after a drunk driver sped over a curb near the bus stop and hit him, according to a sworn complaint filed by Gainesville Police.

Two of his friends suffered minor injuries in the accident, which occurred on Southwest 37th Boulevard.

While the surviving victims of the crash voiced concerns about the stop’s proximity to the road — it’s about two feet away — it is unlikely to be changed because there had been no recorded accidents there prior to Saturday’s, said Chip Skinner, a spokesperson for Regional Transit System.

“People just need to be aware of their surroundings — especially at night,” he said.

The distance from a bus stop to the road is determined by the speed limit of the road, the Florida Department of Transportation and federal laws, Skinner said.

Saurabh Prasad, a friend of Kullar’s who narrowly avoided the drunk driver Saturday, said the bus stop’s current proximity to 37th Boulevard is a hazard.

“That bus stop needs an upgrade,” the UF computer science graduate student said.

Dana Liguori, 19, said she heard the crash of a car and a scream from her Campus Club apartment Saturday night.

The UF neuroscience sophomore said she takes the bus to class every day and often sees cars speed by.

GPD spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias said police have not had complaints about speeding on 37th Boulevard. Liguori said the stop isn’t the issue; bad drivers are.

“I think the bus stop is safe but people who drive down this road aren’t,” Liguori said.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org