Cuban-born UF grads to be featured in St. Augustine exhibit benefiting Cuba

Two Cuban-born UF graduates hope their artwork can help bring financial relief to a Cuban city still recovering from Hurricane Matthew.

The money earned from the entry fee to the St. Augustine’s Lost Art Gallery on Friday will go toward relief efforts in Baracoa, a city ravaged by the 2016 hurricane.

Their one-day exhibit is a part of the inaugural Bulla Cubana festival in St. Augustine. There is a minimum $20 donation entry fee per person, according to the gallery’s website.

“We want to represent our pride for being Hispanic and for being immigrants,” said Miguel Saludes, 27, one of the artists. “We hold the United States in a very special place in our hearts, and we want to contribute to it.”

Saludes and fellow artist Jefreid Lotti graduated from UF in Spring 2016 with a master’s degree in art. They will be joined by Alvaro Labanino, a Cuban artist and the third member of their art group, “Sérverus.”

Lotti, who is displaying paintings inspired by life in Miami, said he’s excited about reaching the international audience visiting St. Augustine.

“Like many families who recently arrived from Cuba, my mother and I lived in this overcrowded transitional space until my college years,” he said. “What I’ve tried to do is give a voice to these experiences that are at the core of every immigrant story.”

Bulla Cubana Festival Events

• The Lost Art Gallery exhibit at 210 St. George St. from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Music at the gallery Saturday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., $20 per person entry donation.
  • Performers include Jax English Salsa Band, joined by Cuban vocalist Barbara Martin.
  • Dance performance by Jessie Dominguez, the principle dancer from the National Ballet of Cuba and the Dance Alive National Ballet.
  • Cash bar with wine and spirits; white or festival attire is optional.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect a change in the headline. The previous headline, "Cuban-free UF grads to sell paintings for hurricane relief." The artists will not be selling their paintings.