Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man was found on UF’s campus Friday burying marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy near Rhines Hall, Gainesville Police said.

Jamard Baker, 36, was a passenger in a black Buick that was pulled over for running a stop sign at about midnight on Northwest 13th Street, according to a police report. As police were talking to the driver, Baker climbed from the back seat into the driver’s seat and drove off.

Police told him to stop, and an officer followed him with lights and sirens on, according to the report. Baker fled onto UF’s campus and ignored the officer’s command to stop.

Police searched the campus and found the car abandoned near Rhines Hall on Gale Lemerand Road, according to the report. A police dog tracked Baker 50 feet away in bushes, where he was attempting to bury about 55.2 grams of marijuana, 0.75 grams of cocaine and four ecstasy pills.

Baker’s driver’s license has been revoked since 2008, and he has previously been convicted of driving with a suspended license, according to the report.

Police arrested Baker on charges of marijuana possession with intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, being a habitual traffic offender and fleeing and eluding officers.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County jail, where he remains as of press time in lieu of a $37,000 bond.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org

Jamard Nouvelious Baker