Generic Crime
Generic Crime

In a fit of road rage, a Gainesville man threatened another driver with a knife, and in retaliation, the driver punched him in the face, Gainesville Police said. Wesley Terwilliger Cooke, 33, was tailgating cars and swerving in

cooke mug

Wesley Terwilliger Cooke

his lane on Northwest 16th Avenue, according to a police report. He sped through traffic and grew increasingly upset behind slow drivers before he stopped at an intersection. Enraged, he got out of his car and approached a truck while taking a folding knife out of his pocket, according to the report. Cooke swung

the knife at the driver as he sped away, the blade dragging along the side of the truck. Cooke caught up with the driver on Northwest 25th Terrace and got out of his car again, according to the report. Cooke tried to punch the driver, while he was in his car. The pas

senger of the car climbed onto the roof of the truck to kick Cooke away, according to the report. Cooke then grabbed the passenger by the leg and tried to pull him down. The driver then got out of the truck and punched Cooke in the face, knocking him unconscious, according to the report.

Cooke was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital for a fractured skull and brain bleeds before being taken to jail, said Officer Ben Tobias, GPD Spokesperson. Police arrested Cooke on charges of aggravated assault and criminal mischief. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, with no bond.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org