<p>UF center John Egbunu shoots a free throw during Florida's 93-54 win over Missouri on Feb. 2, 2017, in the O'Connell Center.&nbsp;</p>

UF center John Egbunu shoots a free throw during Florida's 93-54 win over Missouri on Feb. 2, 2017, in the O'Connell Center. 

I have to admit, I was slightly surprised at the outcome of Tuesday night’s game between No. 13 Florida and South Carolina.

Like one of my colleagues, I thought the Gators’ season was finished.

In my mind, there was no way they could overcome the loss of starting center John Egbunu, who was lost for the year after tearing the ACL in his left knee against Auburn on Feb. 14.

While it’s true that Egbunu has had a down year — I’ve addressed that in previous columns — the qualities he brings to the team are invaluable.

How could UF replace 255 pounds of sheer strength and athleticism wrapped in a 6-foot-11 package?

They couldn’t, I thought.

That is, until the South Carolina game.

Florida dominated on offense and defense in an 81-66 win against the SEC’s top-ranked defense.

So, I guess I’ll just say it.

The Gators’ season is not “done.”

With Tuesday night’s win, Florida sits in a tie for first in the SEC standings with No. 11 Kentucky, which the Gators face on Saturday afternoon in Lexington.

A win in Rupp Arena would almost assure UF the SEC’s regular-season title, a feat the Gators haven’t achieved since they went undefeated in conference play during the 2013-14 season.

Obviously, without Egbunu, severe, season-altering challenges are evident.

Egbunu, despite his struggles, was a crucial cog in Florida’s defense. He was the Gators’ top rebounder and post defender. He was also one of Florida’s most reliable shot blockers, collecting 36 blocks in 24 games.

Things are grim. But they're not over.

Postseason success is still attainable, and it’s going to take a collective effort.

“Guys need to step up,” UF coach Mike White said. “That’s our only choice.”

Forward Devin Robinson has to be involved both offensively and defensively. Guards Kasey Hill and Chris Chiozza have to grab defensive rebounds. Kevarrius Hayes needs to stay out of foul trouble.

And KeVaughn Allen needs to score.

“I think he needs to,” White said of Allen. “Regardless of what happened to John, we want to see KeVaughn be more aggressive.”

It’s a lot to ask for, I know.

But it’s doable, and Florida can prove it with a good showing on Saturday.

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.rog and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.