UF and Gainesville are coming together to celebrate African-American culture during Black History Month.

From Feb. 10 to Feb. 26, Gainesville will host events inviting residents to learn about influential figures in black history through dramatic performances and learn about African-American contributions to the city, said Russell Etling, Gainesville’s cultural affairs manager. At UF, students will raise their fists to celebrate through events hosted by UF’s Black History Month organization, said marketing director Luckso Joacius.

Joacius said UF events are centered around the phrase: “I raise my fist because,” which lets students complete the sentence to express what they stand for.

He said the theme demonstrates people opposing injustices.

“People raise their fists because of different things they face on a daily basis,” the 21-year-old UF construction management junior said.

Throughout February, events will be held almost every day, but the largest will be the Big Sean and Lil Yachty concert Feb. 15 at the O’Connell Center.

Etling said Gainesville has been working to bring residents together through projects that will unveil this month.

He said the home of A. Quinn Jones, located at 1013 NW Seventh Ave., will open Feb. 26 at 3 p.m after it has undergone renovations. Jones, who died in 1997, was the first principal of Lincoln High School, which functioned as an African-American school during segregation.

“It will bring people together of all communities in celebration,” Etling said.

Other events include the Gainesville Master Chorale’s retelling of black spirituals Feb. 10 from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Historic Thomas Center and a concert Feb. 25 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Depot Park, according to a press release.

Meaghan Sapp, the BHM program director, said they’re trying to get students involved in events by co-sponsoring them with GatorNights, other black organizations and student unions.

She urged students of all backgrounds to celebrate the month.

“Never shut yourself off to something because it doesn’t involve you,” the 20-year-old UF nutitional science junior said. “Black history is American history.”