After legalization of same-sex marriage, fewer teen suicide attempts

A recent study shows the legalization of same-sex marriage is associated with fewer adolescent suicide attempts.

JAMA Pediatrics, a peer-reviewed medical journal, published a report Feb. 20 that showed self-reported suicide attempts of public high-school students have decreased by 7 percent in the past year, partly because of samesex marriage policies.

Suicide is the second-most common cause of death for those between the ages of 15 and 24, and sexual minorities are at a higher risk, according to the study.

The study used state-level Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System data from as far back as 1999 to 2015, with a total of 762,678 students.

“Same-sex marriage policies are associated with reduced adolescent suicide attempts,” the study found. For Joe Antonelli, an LGBTQ+ activist, it’s a good sign. “The studies are indicative of the stable, secure environment — more secure than it might have been,” he said.

Antonelli, who started the LGBTQ+ social group Gainesville Community Alliance 26 years ago, said it makes sense that suicide attempts have declined since the environment in 2017 is much more accepting.

“In my time, if teenagers came out to their family they were thrown out of their homes,” the 73-year-old said.

Originally from Boston, he has advocated for LGBTQ+ rights for more than 50 years. The increase of information and discussion on gay issues allows teenagers to feel slightly more accepted, Antonelli said.

In the ‘60s and ‘70s, it was common for gay or lesbian teenagers to feel isolated and run away from home as a result, he said. Luckily, that doesn’t happen as often today, he added.

“There was no social media then, there were no chat rooms, there were no places to talk to other people, and there weren’t things being published where people could find information,” he said.

Melissa Martinez, a UF astronomy junior, was happy when same-sex marriage became legal nationwide in June 2015, but she said she thought it should have happened way earlier.

Martinez, who said she has many bisexual and gay friends, knows how cruel others can be toward the LGBTQ+ community.

“One of my friends, when she came out, she really struggled with it,” the 21-year-old said.

Although she identifies as heterosexual, Martinez said it’s important to recognize that individuals are still bullied simply because of their sexual orientation.

“I don’t know if we’ll ever get to the point of being pro-LGBTQ, but I think we’re accepting,” she said.

@molly_vossler

mvossler@alligator.org