<p>UF coach Roland Thornqvist looks on during Florida's 4-2 win against Oklahoma State on Feb. 18, 2017, at the Ring Tennis Complex.</p>

UF coach Roland Thornqvist looks on during Florida's 4-2 win against Oklahoma State on Feb. 18, 2017, at the Ring Tennis Complex.

After blanking No. 24 South Carolina 4-0, the Gators women’s tennis team didn’t celebrate. Players didn’t jump up and down, nor did they scream down the court. While obviously happy with the win, Florida appeared all business — just how coach Roland Thornqvist likes it.

“If you have a really good team, I think it’s to your advantage to be less emotional,” he said. “You’ll be able to play at a higher level if you take emotion out of it.”

With a veteran team dead set on reaching the NCAA finals in May, No. 1 Florida has maintained a strict focus all season. With a 12-0 record and three consecutive sweeps, it appears to have paid off.

“It’s a very competitive team. That’s no question. We don’t want to give anybody an inch,” Thornqvist said. “These players are hungry. You can definitely sense that.”

The Gators will carry that hunger and determination with them when they travel to Orlando today to face No. 2 Ohio State.

Boasting a 14-1 record and housing the No. 1 player in the nation, Ohio State is on par with Florida this season. Combined, the Buckeyes have dropped 11 matches in the course of this season compared to Florida dropping eight.

Thornqvist says that the Buckeyes have a deep team, able to score at every position. And with games against No. 13 Georgia on Friday and No. 16 Tennessee on Sunday, the Gators are making a point not to overlook this game.

Florida’s doing that by putting in extra effort. Practicing on Sunday, a day the Gators normally take off, Thornqvist said the team was all business, training hard with great attitudes. And with a busy week ahead of them, the Gators are focusing on themselves above all.

“We worry about the Gators more than anything else,” Thornqvist said. “If we can make sure we feel good about our game, then we should be matching up pretty okay with just about anyone.”

This is a necessary approach, as the Gators have faced increased pressure as the season has worn on. Continuing its demanding schedule with multiple top-25 teams still on the horizon, Florida has put an emphasis on its mental game.

“You got to win with your head and legs sometimes and make good decisions,” Thornqvist said. “I think we’re doing that right now. We’re learning to play the right way under pressure.”

This may be something Florida will be forced to continue as it faces Ohio State today at 6:30 p.m. at the UTSA national campus in Orlando.

Contact Spencer Thompson at sthompson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @spencemthompson.