Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested two local residents Sunday whom they say robbed a man after crashing into his car.

Deontae Akee’m Rutledge

Deontae Akee’m Rutledge

Devontae Micheal Brown

Devontae Micheal Brown

Devontae Micheal Brown, 24, drove his car into the gas station parking lot at 1255 W. University Ave., and collided with another car at about midnight Sunday, according to an arrest report. Brown got out of the car and grabbed the other driver by his neck, pushing him into the door of his car and demanding cash.

A passenger in Brown’s car, Deontae Akee’m Rutledge, 23, calmed Brown down and told the other driver to go to the ATM. The driver withdrew $160 and gave the money to Rutledge, according to the report.

Brown drove off and was pulled over by police, an officer said. Police saw him weave in and out of his lane until he stopped at the 200 block of NW 13th St.

When he got out of his car, Brown swayed while he stood and had glassy, watery eyes, according to the report.

Police found two cups that smelled like beer and an open Mike’s Hard drink in his car. After his arrest, Brown said he drank alcohol four or five hours before driving, according to the report, but had a blood alcohol content below the legal limit. He also had taken two Xanax pills, he told police.

Police also found the cash from the ATM and 1.5 grams of marijuana on Rutledge, according to the report. Brown was arrested for unarmed robbery and driving under the influence, and Rutledge was arrested on charges of unarmed robbery and marijuana possession. Both were taken to Alachua County Jail where Rutledge remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $15,000 bond.

Brown was released Sunday night on a bond of $15,000.

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @MerylKornfield