UF’s College of Medicine program ranked No. 40 in nation

The UF College of Medicine is maintaining its position among the top-50 medical schools in the nation.

According to a ranking by the U.S. News & World Report released March 14, the college placed No. 40 out of 140 medical schools, tying with three other universities. The ranking took into account the colleges’ selectivity, primary-care rate, research activity and quality, according to the report’s website.

Harvard University ranked No. 1, while Stanford University and Johns Hopkins University ranked second and third respectively, according to the website.

Although the college didn’t brush shoulders with Ivy League institutions, students and faculty said the program’s quality outweighs the prestige of other universities.

Dr. Patrick Duff, the college’s associate dean of student affairs, said the school excels in acquiring research grants, giving doctors and students access to new technology and providing high-quality patient care. With 550 current students, UF’s medical school also ranks No. 16 out of all public schools, according to the report’s website.

“It’s a great honor for the College of Medicine to be ranked so high among all universities,

strictly among public universities,” Duff said. “It speaks well of the leadership of the college, the faculty and the quality of the students.”

Daniel Buchen, a first-year graduate student, said out of the five medical schools he was accepted into, he chose to attend UF because while visiting the university, the faculty and students made him feel at home.

“It’s the extraordinary high caliber of the teachers, the research that we conduct, the support that we have for our students, the level of preparedness that we have to go into a clinical setting,” the 24-year-old said.

TOP FIVE MED SCHOOLS

• Harvard University
  • Stanford University
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • University of California — San Francisco
  • University of Pennsylvania (Perelman)