UF’s Pi Kappa Alpha accused of hazing, distributing drugs

The UF chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity was placed on administrative suspension by its national fraternity Wednesday after UF began investigating accusations of hazing, drug use and the distribution of drugs.

The chapter received a directive from UF in February limiting its activities on and off campus. Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw sent the letter to the chapter after her office received evidence of brothers messaging each other about hazing.

“I am highly concerned by the nature of these accusations and their potential impact on student safety,” Day Shaw wrote in the letter.

Day Shaw said the Division of Student Affairs was investigating allegations that the fraternity forced members to perform acts of servitude and demeaning behavior. She said some members forced others to stay up until early morning, interfering with the students’ academic success.

The violations the chapter is accused of also include two charges of members using drugs and distributing them. Moreover, Day Shaw said the fraternity accepted members who weren’t UF students, which is not allowed according to university policy.

UF’s Pi Kappa Alpha president could not be reached for comment. The fraternity’s national spokesperson, Brent Phillips, said the chapter is working with UF to address the issues.

After Day Shaw sent the letter to the chapter, Mick Earley, the assistant director of the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, sent another letter warning the fraternity that there were allegations that the chapter had failed to comply with the directive Day Shaw ordered.

“(Gators) obey the law, and we are supportive and helpful to each other,” Day Shaw said. “The alleged violations include a number of behaviors that violate that.”

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @MerylKornfield