UF’s top attorney takes leave amid ongoing investigation

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-6ff897c9-fddd-1115-6e0a-7b3b10e061de"><span>Jamie Lewis Keith</span></span></p>

Jamie Lewis Keith

UF’s vice president and general counsel has taken leave from work so an ongoing investigation can continue without the appearance of a conflict.

Jamie Lewis Keith chose Wednesday to temporarily step away from her position, UF spokesperson Janine Sikes wrote in an email.

The decision was made after an ongoing internal investigation, regarding a complaint made by Gainesville-area lawyer Huntley Johnson, began Feb. 28.

The Office of Internal Audit received a letter from Johnson with allegations about Keith, and the chief auditor began an investigation shortly after.

“UF and Ms. Keith agreed Wednesday she would take time off from work during the investigation to avoid even the appearance of a conflict,” Sikes said.

At a UF Board of Trustees meeting March 16, Johnson spoke about Keith and his planned lawsuit against UF. He accused Keith of not being fit to run the Office of the General Counsel, which provides legal representation for UF, and said clients do not respect the office because of her.

Keith was hired to the position in 2006 and her salary has been $389,500 a year since 2015, according to UF documents.

Sikes said she could not comment about the investigation because it is ongoing.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen

Jamie Lewis Keith