Monday, April 29, 2024

Alachua County libraries to provide job-skills workshops

Alachua County libraries are helping formerly incarcerated people or anyone interested in getting back in the workforce gain the necessary skills through several workshops.

The Re-Entry Conference will be held at Library Partnership, located at 1130 NE 16 Ave, from Monday to April 13. In a collaboration with their community partner CareerSource North Central Florida, the Re-Entry Job and Resource Fair will be held April 24 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Alachua County Head- quarters Library, located at 401 E. University Ave.

After working in libraries for more than 16 years, Linda Cue, Alachua County Library District librarian, worked to create all-in-one workshops to give people the resources they need to get back on their feet.

From women who are recently divorced, to people who have been battling illnesses, Cue is hoping the event will attract people from all walks of life.

“We’re expecting not only people who have criminal backgrounds, but also people who have been out the workforce for a long time,” Cue said.

Nickie Kortus, a marketing and public relations director for the Alachua County Library District, said the events were put together with everyone in mind.

“Linda wanted to get everybody in one location, so that they can get the resources they need and back on a good track,” Kortus said.

Registration for the event can be done in person at the Alachua County Library District or by contacting the library directly at 352-334-3939.