<p>UF guard Eric Hester talks with coach Mike White during Florida's 94-71 win over the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Dec. 21, 2016, in the O'Connell Center.</p>

UF guard Eric Hester talks with coach Mike White during Florida's 94-71 win over the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Dec. 21, 2016, in the O'Connell Center.

The Florida men’s basketball team will have one less guard on its roster at the start of the 2017-18 season.

Point guard Eric Hester announced his intention to transfer from the program on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.

It is unclear where he’ll transfer to.

The 6-foot-3 freshman appeared in 19 games, averaging 2.3 points, 0.5 rebounds and 0.3 assists per game in limited action off the bench behind upperclassmen Kasey Hill, Chris Chiozza and KeVaughn Allen.

Hester provided 5.6 minutes per game as a lengthy on-ball defender and promising three-point shooter.

Hester converted 11 of his 19 three-point attempts, including a 5-for-5 outing against LSU on Jan. 25.

Hester’s decision opens up a spot for incoming freshman Michael Okauru, a 6-foot-3 point guard out of Raleigh, North Carolina, who joined the team on Wednesday.

Okauru is part of a top-30 recruiting class that includes forwards Isaiah Stokes, DeAundrae Ballard and Chase Johnson.

With the addition of the 2017 recruiting class, the Gators will have 13 players on their roster.

If forward Devin Robinson and center John Egbunu decide to pursue the NBA Draft, however, that number could dwindle.

The juniors have until May 24 to withdraw their names from consideration.  

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.