National health conference at UF to offer wellness advice

A national conference about healthy academic communities is coming to UF.

The National Consortium for Building Healthy Academic Communities will be in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom today from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. The conference, which started at Ohio State University in 2013, will deal with how to improve health and wellness programs at national universities, said Angie Brown, the marketing chair for the conference.

“The summit wants to make sure that the programs and services that these academic institutions are offering are the latest and best evidence-based practices,” Brown said.

Single-day tickets are available, and prices for both days range from $60 to $395, depending on if attendees are a member of the organization, a student or faculty, according to the organization’s website.

Brown said the conference will have five speakers, including a neuroscientist and a behavior-change expert. They will discuss topics including universities’ cost-effective wellness programs, managing stress in the classroom and using data to build healthier academic communities.

Corey Zimmerman, a 22-year- old UF public relations senior, said she plans to attend the conference to learn about health and wellness from professionals for her wellness blog.

“I am not a scientist nor a researcher, but I do know that taking care of your body is the only way to live a long life, and that starts with the decision to educate yourself,” Zimmerman said.